To obtain a certificate of citizenship, the first thing to consider is whether you need an original certificate or a copy of your citizenship certificate.
Below is a brief description of the purpose of each form.

Purpose of Form N-565 and Form N-600

Form N-565 is used to apply for a replacement of U.S. citizenship documents. More specifically, the form is used to apply for a copy of the following documents:

  • Certificate of Citizenship is for an individual who acquired citizenship through a U.S. parent.
    • Example: A person born abroad would get a certificate of citizenship.
  • Certificate of Naturalization is a document issued as proof that a person obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization.
    • Example: If a green card holder applies for citizenship, they would be granted a certificate of naturalization.

Note that Form N-565 is not used to make changes in the document such as a misspelled name or wrong date of birth on an original certificate of citizenship.

Form N-600 is used to apply for an original certificate of citizenship. More specifically, the form is used to apply for an original certificate of citizenship if:

  • You were born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent
  • You automatically became a citizen of the United States after birth, but before you turned 18 years old.

Form Fees
There are different fees associated with each application.

  • The N-565 has a filing fee of $345.
  • The N-600 consists of a filing fee of $600
    • With certain exceptions: The fee is $550 if filing for an adopted child
    • There is no fee if filing for a member or veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces – proof of service required.
    • However, the fee for a child of a veteran or member of the U.S. Armed Forces is the normal $600 fee ($550 if child is adopted).

The forms N-565 and N-600 are two different forms that serve a similar purpose. Know the difference between filing for the first time with N-600 and replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated  certificate with form N-565.