Five Answers to Common Questions on Changing Your Address

It’s important to keep the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services updated of your most current address, especially if you have a pending immigration application. You could miss important updates from the USCIS, jeopardizing your immigration status.

Here are the answers to commonly asked questions regarding the change of address process.

#1 How Do I Change My Address with the USCIS?

Changing your address is simple. You can do it by mail, using USCIS Form AR-11, or change your address online.

#2 When Do I Need to Change My Address?

You should report your change of address within 10 days of moving. However, there are some exceptions:

  • Diplomats (visa status A),
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days.

If you ever sponsored a permanent resident and submitted Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, you must complete a Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, within 30 days of the change in address.

#3 Can I Simply Change My Address with the Post Office?

No. It’s important that you change your address directly with the USCIS so that you don’t miss any important notices about your case.

#4 Do I Need to Submit a Change of Address for Every Application?

Yes. You should submit a change of address for every pending application or petition that you have with the USCIS. You can do this online or by calling our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

#5 How Do I Change My Address for an Application or Petition That Is Currently in Progress?

To change your address on a pending application or petition is a 2-step process. First, submit the USCIS change of address form by filing Form AR-11 via mail or online. Second, change your address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions, online or by phone at 1-800-375-5283. For TTY (deaf or hard of hearing) call: 1-800-767-1833.

If you use the online system, you can complete steps 1 and 2 at the same time. Once you complete Form AR-11 online, you will have the opportunity to change your address on any pending or recently approved applications. If you complete Form AR-11 online, you do NOT need to file a paper Form AR-11.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status