Green Card: Green Card Lost or Stolen

What do you do if you lose your green card? First—don’t panic. Your permanent resident status is still intact and replacing your green card is a fairly simple process.

What happens if you lose your green card?

If you lose your green card, it likely won’t affect your daily life—at least not right away. While permanent residents are technically required to carry proof of their status, it’s rare that you’ll ever need to show someone your green card. That means you have time to get it replaced.

However, if you are planning on traveling abroad or applying for jobs, you will likely need proof of your permanent resident status. If this is the case, you should start the process to replace your green card immediately.

How Do I Replace a Green Card?

Replacing a lost green card is a simple process. However, it is expensive and it can take time. To replace your green card you will need to file the USCIS Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The process can be done online or by mail. The filing fee is $455.

How Long Does It Take to Get a New Green Card?

It typically takes 5-6 months for an I-90 green card application to be processed. However, the processing time can change depending on where you file and the current USCIS backlog. You can check current processing times for I-90 green card applications on the USCIS website.

Tips for Filing Filing Form I-90, Replace Green Card

The USCIS has an entirely online process to file Form I-90. Here’s an overview:

  1. Create a USCIS online account.
  2. Start you I-90 application to replace your green card.
  3. Upload evidence. The system will walk you through exactly what is required. You may need to use a scanner or you can take a photo with your phone.
  4. Review your application and e-sign.
  5. Pay the application fee. For most applicants, it is $455.
  6. Review your appointment notice. Some applicants will need to attend a biometric services appointment (fingerprints, signature, photograph) and the USCIS will notify you about this online and by mail. Make sure your address is correct!
  7. Respond to requests for evidence. If you missed submitting any documents or if the USCIS wants to any additional information for your application, they will notify you online and by mail.
  8. Check the status of your application. You can always check the status of your application online or by calling the USCIS at 1-800-375-5283.
  9. Receive your green card! Once your application is approved, you will receive your new green card in the mail.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status