How to Extend Your Legal Nonimmigrant Stay in the U.S.

Need to Extend Your Legal Nonimmigrant Stay in the United States?

Your temporary visa in the United States is going to expire soon, but you need more time!

In some circumstance you can file Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status, to extend your time in the United States.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services have special extension rules for each visa type, so it’s important to check on the rules for your specific visa.

However, the USCIS focuses on three things in general:

  • Immigration officers will want to know why you wish to extend your stay in the U.S.;
  • You’ll need to show that your stay in the U.S. is still temporary; and
  • The USCIS will also want to know if your extension will affect your job or residence in your home country

For more information on how to file Form I-539, visit today!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status