How to notify U.S. immigration about a change of address

Letting the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services know of an address change isn’t just important to make sure you receive up-to-date information on your case, it’s also the law.

Not notifying the USCIS that you’ve moved can lead to delays in a decision on your case and is technically a misdemeanor crime.

Most non-citizens must report a change of address to the USCIS within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories.

There are three exceptions:

  • Diplomats with visa status A
  • Official government representatives to an international organization with visa status G
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days

Changing your address online

The easiest way to let the USCIS know that you’ve moved is by doing it on the USCIS website. In just a few steps you can complete the process. This process is broken up into two categories so we’ll take a look at them one at a time.

If you don’t have an application or petition pending

This method is for immigrants who do not have an application pending with the USCIS. That means you’re not waiting for a decision on an application.

What you must do is File Form AR-11 either online or through the mail. We’ll cover the online portion first.

You can request a change of address on the USCIS website

First, you’ll select that you DO NOT have an application or petition in progress. Then you’ll simply complete the rest of the application and you’re done.

Once you’ve filled out the change of address form online there’s no need to file a paper AR-11.

If you have an application or petition pending with USCIS

When you have an application pending with the USCIS the process for changing your address online is slightly different.

You’ll need to let the USCIS know about every application you currently have pending a decision. This can also be done on their website.

First, choose “yes” when asked if this change of address is for an application or petition currently in progress. A box like the one below will appear.

You must change the address on all pending USCIS immigration applications.

Fill out this section completely. If you have multiple applications pending, such as an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative and I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, you have to include each application on this list.

Your receipt number will contain 13 characters.

Your receipt number can be found on your I-797, Notice of Action that should have been sent to you immediately after the USCIS received your application.

Once you complete the online address change form you’re done. No need to file a paper AR-11.

Special circumstances

In some cases, the USCIS does not allow you to change your address online. If you have been approved for or have one of these applications pending you cannot change your address online.

  • Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant filed as VAWA self-petitioner
  • Form I-914, Application for T Nonimmigrant Status (“T visa”)
  • Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status (“U visa”)
  • Form I-765V, Application for Employment Authorization for Abused Nonimmigrant Spouse
  • Form I-485, Application to Adjust status as an abused spouse under the Cuban Adjustment Act

If you fit into this category you must complete AR-11 on paper and mail it into the USCIS. You can mail it to:


Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

If you’ve been approved for one of the above applications you’ll have to request a change of address from the Vermont Service Center for subsequent address changes including Forms I-90, I-131, I-192, I-485, I-601, I-765, I-929 or N-400.

You will not be able to change your address online or on the phone.

Changing your address by mail

You can also file a paper AR-11 to let the USCIS know that you’ve moved. To do so, download the form from the USCIS website. Fill it out completely, sign it, and mail it to:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Citizenship and Immigration Services

Attn: Change of Address

1344 Pleasants Dr.

Harrisonburg, VA 22801

It’s important that you fill out the form completely and sign it or else you could run into some problems.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.