How To Renew or Replace Your Green Card?

As a permanent resident in the United States, a green card is perhaps the most important document you possess. It proves your identity and status, including your right to work in the country. If you are a permanent resident, your green card is valid for 10 years, while a conditional permanent resident’s card expires after two years.

If the expiration date is approaching or you need a replacement, it’s vital that you take the necessary steps to move forward with your life in the U.S. Remember, you are legally obligated to carry a valid green card at all times, and you are required to present proof of your right to work before starting a new job. Fortunately, can make the process of completing and filing the paperwork to renew or replace your Green Card fast and easy.

When to renew or replace a permanent resident card?

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you can renew your green card when the expiration date is within the next six months.

You should replace the Green card if it was lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged. You may also need to file for a replacement if you never received a card that was issued to you, it displays inaccurate or outdated information, you are turning 14 years old or you are changing between commuter and permanent resident status.

If you are in any of these situations, apply for a new green card with USCIS Form I-90. FileRight will set you on the right track, starting with a free questionnaire to check your eligibility. The online software will then lead you through completing your paperwork by asking a series of straightforward questions. The program checks your answers, so you won’t forget anything or submit incorrect information.

What to do if you are a conditional permanent resident?

Conditional permanent residents received their green cards through marriage or entrepreneurship. If this is your situation, you may not renew when two years are up. Instead, you have 90 days before the card’s expiration to apply for conditions to be removed on the Green card. Otherwise, you will lose your residency status.

Submit Form I-751 to become a permanent resident without condition. FileRight will provide you with up-to-date forms and clear explanations of each item in either English or Spanish. Should you need any additional assistance using the program, technical support is available by phone at any time. When you’re done, you’ll have completed documents ready to be filed with the government, along with customized instructions for how to do so.

If you have not yet obtained permanent residency status, FileRight can still help. The online software includes a package for a relative who is currently a resident or citizen to submit a petition on your behalf with Form I-130. When that form is approved, you can file Form I-485 to receive a green card.

Take action to move your immigration status forward today. With FileRight, your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status