How to Renew Your U.S. Green Card

Most green cards are valid for 10 years, but you don’t have to wait until your green card is expired to renew it. You can begin the process to renew your green card as early as six months before it expires by filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

You can also use Form I-90 to replace your green card. You can replace your green card if any of the following things are true:

  • Your green card has been lost, stolen or destroyed
  • Your information on your green has changed since it was issued
  • You’ve turned 14 years old and your green card expires on or before your 16th birthday

Filing Form I-90

When you fill out Form I-90, you’ll give personal information and check the box that states why you’re filing the form. You’ll also have to send a copy of your existing green card or a copy of a government-issued ID that has your name, date of birth, picture and signature on the card. As of December 23, 2016, you’ll need to send a $455 USD check or money order made out to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” People under the age of 75 will also have to pay $85 USD to have their biometrics (fingerprints, photo and signature) taken. In total, you’ll send the U.S. Department of Homeland Security a check or money order of $540 USD.

If you are filing Form I-90 because you never received your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), you do not have to pay a filing fee as long as you meet these criteria:

  • We mailed the card over 30 days ago;
  • It was returned to us as undeliverable; and
  • You have not moved from the address you provided us.

Send your completed Form I-90, supporting documents and check or money order to the USCIS. When the USCIS receives your application to renew your green card, they’ll send you two letters. One is proof that you filed Form I-90 and the other will let you know when and where to go to your biometrics appointment.

If your application is incomplete, the USCIS might send a request for more documents. Your new green card will be mailed to you if the USCIS approves your renewal application.

[uncode_block id=”53117″]

Conditional Permanent Residents

A conditional permanent resident’s green card is valid for only two years. Conditional permanent residents can’t use Form I-90 to renew their expiring green cards. They can only use Form I-90 if they need to replace their existing green card if it was lost, destroyed or stolen.

Conditional permanent residents can remove their conditional status by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence if their status is based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. People who are conditional permanent residents because they are investors or entrepreneurs can file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. 

Conditional permanent residents can begin the process of removing their conditions 90 days before their green card expires. If they don’t remove their conditions before their green card expires, they could lose their permanent resident status, so they should be sure to begin the process as soon as they can.

[uncode_block id=”53127″]

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status