How to Request Copy of U.S. Citizenship Certificate

Hold on! Before you apply to become a citizen, have you checked to see if you’re already a citizen?

If one of your parents is a citizen of the U.S. then you may be able to claim your citizenship by filing Form N-600, Application for Citizenship Certificate.

You might not have to go through the naturalization process if you qualify for a citizenship certificate.

N-600 Eligibility

There are two different ways to qualify for a citizenship certificate.

The first is where you were born outside of the United States, but one of your parents is a citizen of the U.S.

The second is where you were not born a citizen, but automatically became a citizen before you turned 18 years old. This can happen when one of your parents becomes a citizen (a process called naturalization) before you turn 18 years old.

N-600 Supporting Documents

Nearly all immigration documents require copies of supporting documentation and Form N-600 is no exception.
The purpose of supporting documentation is to provide the government with a reason to to grant you the benefits for which you apply.

In this case, you’ll be providing documents that show that you have a parent who is a U.S. citizen. This can be done by including copies of the following documents in your application package. Keep in mind that you will have to tailor your supporting documents for your particular case.

  • A birth certificate can show that you are the child of a U.S. citizen
  • Your parent’s birth certificate or citizenship certificate can show that they are a U.S. citizen
  • A marriage certificate can show the relationship between your parents and provide further proof of your right to citizenship

N-600 Process

The process for filing Form N-600, Application for Citizenship Certificate is as follows:

  1. Fill out the form completely
  2. Compile supporting documentation and the fee payment
  3. Send the application package to the appropriate USCIS lockbox facility
  4. The USCIS may request further documentation
  5. The USCIS will make a decision

If the decision is favorable, you will get your citizenship certificate in the mail.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status