The application to renew or replace your green card may appear simple, but there’s a lot at stake. It can take months to get your new green card and any application errors, even minor typographical mistakes, can lengthen the process. In the meantime, not having a valid green card can cause you a lot of problems. This checklist helps you file your I-90 green card application correctly.
[uncode_block id=”55499″ inside_column=”yes”]
Checklist for I-90 Green Card Application
1. Are You Eligible to File?
First, you’ll want to make sure you’re eligible. There are several eligibility categories for Form I-90.
[uncode_list larger=”yes” icon=”fa fa-stop2″ icon_color=”accent”]
- My previous card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.
- My previous card was issued but never received.
- My existing card has been mutilated (damaged).
- My existing card has incorrect data because of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) error.
- My name or other biographic information has been legally changed since issuance of my existing card.
- My existing card has already expired or will expire within six months.
- I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as required. My existing card will expire AFTER my 16th birthday.
- I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as required. My existing card will expire BEFORE my 16th birthday.
- I am a permanent resident who is taking up commuter status.
- I am a commuter who is taking up actual residence in the United States.
- I have been automatically converted to lawful permanent resident status.
- I have a prior edition of the Alien Registration Card, or I am applying to replace my current Permanent Resident Card for a reason that is not specified above.
2. Is It the Right Time to File?
Next, you’ll want to make sure it’s the right time to file.
[uncode_list larger=”yes” icon=”fa fa-exclamation-triangle” icon_color=”accent”]
- If you’re filing to replace a green card, you’re eligible to file immediately.
- If you’re filing to renew your green card, you’ll need to wait until 6-months before it expires.
Ready to File?
When you’re ready to begin the I-90 Green Card Application, we’ll guide you through it with step-by-step instructions.
Fileright.com provides online “do-it-yourself” software and lawyer review services to help you properly complete the immigration application process. Answer simple questions about your life situation, one step at a time and the FileRight software will complete and properly format the required USCIS application documents for you. FileRight checks your application for completeness before you file, identifying omissions and errors that could cause your application to be rejected.