What Does the Medical Exam for a U.S. Green Card Involve?

Applying for a green card? Then you’ll need to take a medical exam. Here’s an overview of exactly what the examination involves.

Why Am I Required to Take a Medical Exam?

The green card medical exam is required to ensure you meet the health-related green card requirements. In other words, it exists to make sure no health-related issues make you inadmissible to the United States.

What Can Cause You to Fail the Green Card Medical Exam?

There are several reasons a person could “fail” the medical exam, making you ineligible for a green card. However, there are waivers available for all these except drug abusers or addicts. Below is a list of medical reasons for inadmissibility:

  • People with communicable diseases like tuberculosis (waiver available)
  • People with physical or mental disorders that may cause harm to themselves or others (waiver available)
  • Drug abusers or addicts
  • People without proper vaccinations (waiver available)

Am I required to Take a Green Card Medical Exam?

Medical exams are typically required for anyone that is applying for U.S. permanent residency.

What Do They Check in an Immigration Medical Exam?

The medical exam is a general screening to make sure you are safe to allow into the U.S. Generally, they are checking to make sure you don’t have any serious or communicable diseases, mental disorders that could cause you to harm yourself or others, or drug problems.

The following diseases will make you inadmissible:

  • Gonorrhea
  • Leprosy, infectious
  • Syphilis, infectious stage
  • Tuberculosis, Active

Does the Green Card Medical Exam Require a Drug Test?

Yes. One of the things the doctor is checking for is whether or not you are a drug abuser.

How Much Does the Green Card Medical Examination Cost?

The U.S. government does not regulate fees charged by doctors to complete the green card medical exam. Fees will vary by physician.

Where Can I Get a Green Card Medical Exam?

If you live in the U.S., medical exams must be conducted by a physician designated by the USCIS (known as a “civil surgeon”). To find an approved doctor near you, see the myUSCIS Find a Doctor or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you live outside the U.S., the medical exam must be conducted by a physician designated by the U.S. Department of State (also known as a “panel physician”). See the Department of State website to find an approved doctor near you.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status