As a permanent resident, your immigration status may be permanent but your green card isn’t. Whether you were issued a 10-year card or a 2-year conditional card, both will expire and need to be replaced. Here’s what to do.

How To Renew Your 10-year Green Card

Green cards can be renewed using the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The form itself is relatively simple and can be filed by mail or online. The fee is $455 plus an $85 biometrics fee.

Don’t want to spend $540 renewing your card? You don’t have to. After 3-5 years as a permanent resident, you qualify to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. As a citizen, you never have to renew a green card again. Learn more about the benefits of citizenship or start your application today.

How To Remove Conditions on Your 2-year Green Card

Conditional 2-year green cards CANNOT be renewed. The conditions on your immigration status must first be removed.

A family-based conditional permanent resident must file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, during the 90 days before the card expires.

An investor/entrepreneur-based conditional permanent resident must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions, during the 90 days before the card expires.

After your petition is approved, you will receive a 10-year green card.

How To Replace a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Green Card

You can use Form I-90 to replace a lost, stolen or damaged green card. In this case, this form can be used for 10-year or 2-year cards. The fee is $540 (including biometrics) even if you are just replacing your card.