Can I Get a Fee Exemption for N-600?

Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, typically costs $1,170 to file. However, there are some cases in which you can pay less or even nothing at all! Here’s what you need to know to get a fee exemption for Form N-600.

form i-912 on clipboard
Form I-912 on a clipboard. If you want a fee exemption for the N-600, you’ll also need to fill out Form I-912 and submit it along with documentation.

How Much Can I Reduce the Fee?

It’s an all-or-nothing situation. Either you can prove you can’t pay the fee and get a full waiver, or you have to pay the entire amount. Getting a fee waiver will not affect your immigration status unless you are already considered a public charge. That could make you ineligible for the waiver.

I’m Military. Do I Still Have to Pay the Fee?

Members and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces don’t need to pay a fee at all to get a citizenship certificate. However, in order to show that you are entitled to this benefit, you will need to attach proof of your service.

What Do I Need to Apply for a Fee Waiver?

People who find that they cannot pay the $600 fee for other reasons can file a fee waiver with their application.

You will need to submit documents proving why you can’t afford to pay the N-600 filing fee.

The government may or may not accept your request for a fee waiver. Keep this in mind!

You need to fill out Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, and submit it along with your N-600 in one package. You can show any or all of the following:

  • You, your spouse, or the head of household living with you, are currently receiving a means-tested benefit.
  • Your household income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time you file. 
  • You are currently experiencing financial hardship that prevents you from paying the filing fee, including unexpected medical bills or emergencies.

For any of these reasons, you will need to prove it with documentation. You can pursue more than one in your application. To learn more about filing for a fee waiver, the USCIS offers additional information.

Are All Fee Waivers Accepted?

The government may or may not accept your request for a fee waiver. If they accept your request, you will get a notice saying so. If they do not accept your request, they will send your application package back with instructions to re-submit with the proper fee.

Reasons for rejection include not signing the I-912, not providing enough evidence, or submitting evidence that isn’t in English or lacks a certified English translation. By working with FileRight, we can help you prevent a costly delay in your immigration journey.

Start putting together your N-600 application today at!

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top

Refund Policy

Terms of Use

Privacy Policy