Foreign students looking to study at an academic school in the United States can use the F student visa.

Applying for an F student visa is a multi-step process that can change significantly based on which embassy you apply. However, there are some elements of the process that are consistent throughout.

In order to apply for a F student visa, you will need to meet one very basic requirement:

You’ll need to have been accepted by a S – E – V – P certified school. You can find a list of these schools on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

After being accepted by the school, you will then need to register with SEVIS and pay the associated I-901 fee.

After acceptance, you will then apply for your nonimmigrant visa by filing Form DS-160 online at the Department of State’s website.

Don’t forget to upload your required photo during the DS-160 application process!

After filing your application, you’ll need to schedule a visa interview at a local U.S. consulate or embassy.

After a successful interview, you can apply for entry at a United States port-of-entry and begin your studies!

To learn more about Student Visas, visit!